|Hindmarsh Hall, Alnmouth - The Ideal Location whatever the event|
|In 1791, when Alnmouth was a thriving seaport, the Hindmarsh Hall was known to exist as a Granary which
was one of a number in Alnmouth. It was used later as a Corn Exchange. The River Aln changed course in 1806,
separating the old church from the village. For over 50 years the population had to travel to either Lesbury
or Warkworth to worship. In 1859, the Hall was converted into a church, which function it fulfilled until
1876 when the new Church of St John the Baptist was built. In 1937 the
Hindmarsh family purchased the building from the Duke of Northumberland and, after refurbishment, gave it to the people of Alnmouth
for use as a village hall.
In recent years the hall has been refurbished externally and internally with the help of grants from several organisations and with lots of hard work by the villagers and other supporters. A wonderful historical building in the heart of Alnmouth which is now a ‘state of the art’ centre for all activities.The building is centrally heated and has disability access as well as a lift and disabled toilets. A fully equipped Kitchen is available, serving both halls. There is also an induction loop system for the hard of hearing.
The Main Hall is ideal for many activities and seats up to 80. Located on the first floor, and serviced by a lift, it is suitable for special occasions such as weddings, silver weddings, birthday parties and other celebrations. With its excellent acoustic capabilities, this venue is used by numerous local organisations and for many major activities in the village, such as Stage Performances and rehearsals by NTC and Alnwick Choral Society, Variety Shows and Concerts, Charitable Coffee mornings, Craft Fairs, Barn Dancing, and Badminton. Served by the downstairs Kitchen, it also includes a separate Tea and Coffee servery.
The Lower Hall seats up to 40 people and is ideal for any form of meeting. The favourite location for meetings of many groups within the village, it is ideal for smaller celebrations and coffee mornings. It is regularly used by parish, district and county authorities.
|For terms and conditions of hire, and current prices, please see contact details in Village Newsletter|